Accounts from Outlook
This section will outline how to manually migrate your email account settings from Outlook to Postbox. This will be especially useful for email accounts from work or your ISP. To setup a webmail account, please see the section titled "Setting Up Webmail Accounts" on our support page.
Copying settings from Outlook
- Open the Outlook Preferences screen by selecting Account Settings from the Tools menu, and select the E-mail tab. Select the account you would like to migrate and click the Change button.
- Write down your Server Information and Logon Information. Be sure to note the Account Type (e.g. POP or IMAP) and note if the Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is checked.
- Click the More Settings button, and then select the Outgoing Server tab. Note whether or not your outgoing server requires authentication, and whether the Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA) checkbox is selected.
- Click the Advanced tab, and write down the port numbers for both your Incoming and Outgoing servers, and note the kind of encryption used for each (if any).
Adding settings to Postbox
Next we're going to transfer the settings we noted above in Postbox.
- Within Postbox, select Account Settings from the Tools menu. Click on the Add Account button in the lower left.
- Within the New Account Setup screen, select Other email account, and click the Continue button.
- Type Your Name and Email Address for the acccount you want to setup, and click the Continue button.
- Select either POP or IMAP as your account type, enter your Incoming Server, and click the Continue button.
- Enter your Incoming User Name, and click the Continue button.
- Give your account a recognizable Account Name like "Work Mail" (you can change this later), click the Continue button, then click the Done button. You should now be at the Account Settings screen.
- Select Server Settings under your account name on the left to see your incoming server information. If necessary, change the Port number and select the incryption type. If Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) was checked in Outlook, then select the Use secure authentication checkbox.
- At the bottom of the account list on the left side, select Outgoing Server (SMTP), then click the Add button in the upper right. Type in a recognizable Description such as "Work SMTP" (you can change this later), and then enter the SMTP Server Name and port number you noted from Outlook.
- If in Outlook a "User Name" was listed or if "Password" was selected in the Outgoing Server tab, please check the Use name and password checkbox, and type in your User Name. If Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA) was checked in Outlook then check Use secure authentication. Under Use secure connection select the type of encryption used in Outlook, and click the OK button to save the SMTP settings.
- Click the OK button to close the Account Settings screen.
- Click on your newly created account in the folder pane, and then click the Get Mail button in the toolbar.
- Enter your password in the drop down dialog that appears. Select the Use Password Manager to remember this password checkbox if you would like your password to be entered automatically for you in the future.
That should do it! Enjoy!